Sunday, September 12, 2010

Turn The Page

There are a lot of changes coming in my mostly peaceful existence. I think that most of them will be good.
First, I am moving. I love the place where I live, but I was making quite a bit more money when I moved here than I am now. It is a struggle to make ends meet and any unexpected expenses can wreak havoc. So with the help of my cousin Paul, I have found a place that is not quite as big, not quite as nice but is 25% cheaper. That will help.
Second, my employment is winding down to its demise. I took a job as a temporary worker about 14 months or so ago. At the time they said the job would probably last 2 to 3 months. The factory where I work is moving their operations to Malaysia. There have been many difficulties with the move and it has been postponed several times. Thus the 14 or so months rather than 2 or 3 months of employment. Now they are saying January is it.
Third, and as a consequence of #2, I will be going back to school. The government has a program called "Trade Adjustment Allowance" that will pay for my retraining since my job is going overseas. I have just started the process of jumping through all of the bureaucratic hoops required. I'm leaning towards a webmaster certification. I hope that it is a growing field and that I will be able to stay employed once I complete the training. Actually, I hope to prosper rather than just get by. We shall see.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Whoa Nelly. I actually like moving and the process of eliminating a lot of stuff. I've been itching to move for like 2 years.

Make sure you post some cute pictures of you all dressed up with your back pack on in front of your house on your first day of school. Maybe you could find an old lady to take you into class, introduce you to your teacher, help you find your seat, and cry as she goes out the door.

Miranda W. said...

And make sure she packs you and snack pack.