Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ro Ho En

I've been lax in posting. I have no excuse. But I've been traveling through the city of my birth looking for interesting things to share. A couple of weeks ago, I visited Ro Ho En. It is a Japanese garden, built by gardeners from Phoenix's sister city in Japan: Himeji. Ro is Japanese for Heron, a symbol of Himeji Castle. Ho is Japanese for the legendary Phoenix bird. And En is garden. It's in downtown Phoenix but has a very peaceful atmosphere. I liked it. I'll go back.
A stone lantern is typical in Japanese gardens.

I have never figured out why carp are so revered, even if they are called Koi.


This is a Shachi. A mythical fish with a tiger's face, they are traditionally placed on the roofs of important buildings as a charm against fire.



One of the smaller waterfalls in the park.


The big waterfall, focal point of the park.


It's only a short light rail ride away. There is a lot of other cool stuff there, like an offset bridge to ward off evil spirits. It seems demons can only travel in straight lines.

No comments: