Sunday, May 31, 2009

Success! Well, sort of...

After a change of strategy we joined in battle with the stump once more. The new plan was to cut it off as close to the ground as feasible then burn the rest. So Andrea's husband Josh has been attacking it a little bit at a time. I went back last Wednesday. Thursday I spent 3 hours in the hot, hot Arizona sun hacking at the big ol' stump. When I was teetering on the edge of heat exhaustion I decided to call it a day and to start early the next morning when it was under 100 degrees. When I went in, Grandpa asked me how close it was to being done. So I went back out to measure it and discovered it was only held up by a strip of wood about 3" wide x 10" long. I broke out the chainsaw again. I figured I was already about as hot and sweat as I could get so why not finish the job? After another half hour, the top of the stump finally slid off the bottom portion. My arms, shoulders, and back were not happy.
I don't want to be a lumberjack when I grow up.



Then I spent about a half hour Thursday morning cutting the smaller stump in front of the house. Thanks to Uncle Seth for the loan of his truck, Paul for helping load the wood in the back of said pickup, and Anna for the round trip. The wood has been delivered to my friend Jerry and we have high hopes of seeing something beautiful come out of all this!


4 comments:

Leah said...

Awww, and I was just going to suggest that you simply disguise the stump as something. Like a top hat or a headstone. But, congrats on a job well done, anyway.

Tio Bruno said...

Tía's going to put a potted plant on the one out front.

It was done because Grandpa was fretting constantly about it.

Miranda W. said...

I know a couple of good massage therapists that do great on backs and shoulders....

Tio Bruno said...

Yeah, but they're in Texas!